Acupuncture in Nanaimo, BC
Harbour City Healers
It's Spring, Does Your Liver Need A Tune-Up?
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, each of the Five Elements represents
a season in the yearly cycle. Wood corresponds to spring and is
associated with the Liver and Gallbladder organ systems.
What does this mean? Well, throughout the seasons, you may notice
changes in the way you feel, both physically and mentally.
During the spring, typically people get more energy and are motivated to
get things done. Liver and Gallbladder energy should be strong and
assertive, giving you the motivation to create plans and make decisions.
If the Liver and Gallbladder energy is deficient and/or out of balance you
may feel emotional weakness, irritability, timidity and lack of assertion.
This can result in the inability to take action and complete your tasks.
Here are a few signs that your liver is in need of an acupuncture tune-up:
1) You’ve noticed an increase in headaches lately, typically manifesting at the vertex of your head. These headaches seem to feel worse when you aren’t active.
2) You’ve noticed changes in digestion, a feeling of constipation or bloating. Your bowel movements might become irregular, alternating between constipation and loose stools/diarrhea. Hard, difficult stool that appear itsy bitsy/pebbly are also a sign of liver imbalance.
3) You’ve noticed a change in your eyes, with symptoms such as: blurry, dry, red, itchy, irritated, and/or eye floaters.
4) People are afraid of you, in the sense you’re easily irritated, frustrated, angered and cranky. When Liver energy is out of balance, it can lead to outbursts of anger more easily that it would if this energy was flowing smoothly.
5) You’ve noticed your shoulders, neck or jaw are tight. When the Liver energy is out of balance, it can flow upward causing various symptoms including: levitated shoulders up by your ears, TMJ with grinding/clenching of your teeth.
6) Your allergies are flaring up, with symptoms such as: itchy, red, watery eyes.
7) For the ladies, you may notice your PMS symptoms have been worse lately. This is due to stagnate Liver energy causing symptoms such as: breast tenderness, bloating, mood swings, periods that are more painful or clotted.
If you are suffering from any of these issues, your body is crying out for a visit to your acupuncturist!